Everything You Need to Know in Preparation for Your Engagement Session – Your Questions Answered
1. What should we wear?
Here are a few tips we like to share when you’re thinking about what to wear for your e-session:
- Avoid being too matchy-matchy. Gone are the days of both couples wearing white t-shirts and jeans. You’ll want what you wear to complement each other, not copy! (Using a pop of color to tie both of your outfits together always works well).
- For women, avoid shirts that are baggy or super-loose. Sometimes the camera can exaggerate the looseness in the clothing, which can cause one to appear more round than they really are.
- Think about your body and if there is anything you tend to be self conscious about. We hope that you aren’t! But if you are definitely consider how your attire will most flatter your body. Feel free to ask us for advice!Feel free to bring an outfit change (one casual look, one dressy look). It’s always good to switch things up a bit and if we change locations, it will essentially be like you had two photoshoots.
- Solid colored clothing items are great, and if you want to bring in a pattern, have only one person wearing the pattern.
- Wear what you feel comfortable in. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing, it often shows in the images.
- Heels elongate women’s legs which is always flattering in pictures. We recommend you also bring flip-flops or other shoes that you can be more comfortable in while walking in-between shots.
- Try on everything a few days before the shoot. You’ll want to make sure your clothes fit correctly and you don’t have distractions from panty lines, bra straps, poor fitting clothing, or wrinkles!
2. Should I get my hair and makeup professionally done?
There are many benefits to getting your hair and makeup done professionally:
- Makeup looks different on-camera than in-person, and a professional makeup artist will know how much or little makeup you’ll need to make you look your best for the camera!
- Your skin will look better in-camera (We highly recommend that you use a makeup artist who airbrushes on their makeup), and you’ll be amazed how awesome your skin looks!
- It’s a great trial run for your wedding day! You can find out what works and what doesn’t, and make adjustments for your wedding.
If you choose to do your makeup yourself that’s cool too! We recommend avoiding makeup under your eyes except light mascara, or anything too dark or caked on. Keeping it light and natural looking is usually our recomendation!
3. Should we bring props?
This is completely up to you! If there are certain items that reflect something about you guys or your story that you would like to incorporate into photos, bring them (hats, fun shoes, a pet, sports paraphernalia, a car, bicycles, etc.)! If you have any fun signs or other props for a great “save the date” shot for you to use, bring those as well. It’s completely up to you. We don’t need props to make amazing images, and sometimes they can be cumbersome to bring along so this is really your preference completely.
4. Is there anything else we should bring?
Bring powder to help eliminate any shine on the skin, lipstick, bobby pins in case it is windy, hairspray for any flyaways, and a sweater or blanket to wrap up in should you get cold. Other than that you’re good to go!
- Have everything ready at least 3 days before your session so there is no last minute scrambling.
- Make sure the night before your session is a fun and relaxing time for just the two of you – nothing intense and no fighting 😉 You want to be at the height of your love for each other during your session!
- Get a good nights rest and eat well so you have plenty of energy!
Remember: Being in love is a rare thing! Some people spend a lifetime looking for what you two have found. Your engagement session is the perfect time to celebrate the amazing gift you have found in each other and to anticipate the bright things awaiting your future! Think of your session as the best date you’ve ever had. A time to focus on each other, enjoy yourselves, look your best, and get all mushy gushy. This will ensure you receive the best pictures possible and that this time becomes a memory you will cherish forever.